Friday, July 2, 2010

Transform and Role Out

And before someone has a spelling fit, make note that I am aware that it should be "roll" out, but given the main subject of the coming blog, you will understand my shift to role.

So, "The Pirates of Penzance" goes up this Thursday. I can honestly say that this is the most difficult show I've ever been involved with. See, I'm an actor, for those of you reading this that don't know me, and I've been acting for a number of years now. More and more as each year goes by. Anyway, for those of you unfamiliar with the Gilbert and Sullivan classic, or any show by good ol' G & S, their music is extremely complicated. It's Operatic, Pronunciation:
\ˌä-pə-ˈra-tik\
Function: adjective Date: 1749 1 : of or relating to opera 2 : grand, dramatic, or romantic in style or effect. Meaning, 95% of the show is singing. Ridiculous, grandiose, singing. Now, not to sound over dramatic, but this show has been particularly difficult on me. Singing has never been my strong suite. Now, I'm well aware of the fact that I can sing fairly well, but I'm also aware that it is not my strongest skill. I am a comfortable Baritone. I can sing in a Tenor part okay, but high notes are hard for me. I've been practicing so much on increasing my range as well as strengthening my diaphragm and it is showing, but this show in particular has still been so much work. I'm nervous. Singing make me nervous. I could be in front of an audience monologuing for an hour and a half and I wouldn't be a fraction as nervous as I get singing in front of people.

Nerves are a peculiar thing. No matter how many times I've gone through this same process, it's still the same. Stomach in knots. Labored breathing. And so much sweat I feel like I need a friggin' snorkel. You'd think that with such an overwhelming feeling that it might dissuade me from continuing on this particular life path, but no. I'm sure that says something about me. Not sure what. But I'm sure it's something. I mean...I love it. I love performing. I love having control of people feelings. I mean, that's really what it is. It's form of mind control. And the feeling that comes over me when a show goes well is indescribable. The strangest mix of adrenaline and endorphins. It's like a drug. Really and truly.

All that being said, it is going to be an awesome show. The entire cast as worked so hard and it's really come together nicely. Not to mention how completely awesome the set is.

Well, that's enough for this first entry. I realize it's extremely topical, but I promise future entries will be more interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Finally Bill gets be first at something. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete